I was almost done...then, I tried it on. It didn't work for me. I couldn't try it on earlier because of the afterthought sleeves. Once I finished the first sleeve and started on the second I could try it on. FAIL!
- bind off the two sides so I can just sew the seams together. I may add three or four rows on each side before starting the top back and bottom back.
- knit down from the lace panel to finish the bottom of the back.
- knit up from the lace panel and shape the back neck and shoulders. I think it only needs another inch or two.
- knit two fronts for the cardigan, adding waist shaping and armholes. seam to the back piece.
- work top down set in sleeves with short row sleeve caps. keep the length the same.
- keep the wide seed stitch borders on the hem, cuff, and button band. not sure about the neck yet...maybe still seed stitch just thinner.
So, basically a cardigan from scratch with just the lace medallion from the original pattern.