Friday, June 3, 2011

Bra Problems and Plans


About a year ago I made myself a bra. Then, I got pregnant and (ahem) it was too small. A few weeks ago, I thought I'd try and see if it fit...it did! It was wonderful and comfortable. I don't know about you, but I struggle with finding bras that fit. My cup size is too big for my band size (or so regular stores think). {TMI and FYI: I am a 34DDD, or E, or F depending on the manufacturer.} And, in the end I have to spend  $60+ on one bra!!! For a cheapskate frugal mama like me that is a big deal!

So, I was loving my homemade bra, until...
FAIL!
The strap broke right at the connector!

the plan: make more bras
For about $10 ea in materials - yes I can make 5-6 bras for the price of one store bought bra!
the fail solution: don't use adjustable straps!
I was thinking - What's the reason for adjustable straps on bras? - answer: so it will fit many bodies. Well, since I'm making these bras custom to fit me, I don't need adjustable straps. I can just sew one in at the right length...Problem Solved!

For your Information:
Bra Pattern: Pin-up Girls "Linda" Bra 8235
The pattern and materials were purchased online at ELingeriA. I highly recommend them. They sell different patterns, materials, straps, closures, under-wires...everything you need to make lingerie. They are based out of Germany so everything is in Euros and the shipping takes a bit of time but it is totally worth it! Now that I have the pattern, I just need to get some more material and get sewing. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment